Monday Mix: Questions from the Open Thread

LifeHacker has a weekly open thread on Fridays from which they later pull out some questions to re-post as a blog entry at the top level, so that people who aren’t continuing to read the open thread past Friday can comment and respond. I think this is a good idea, and there are already some good questions from last Thursday’s open thread. (Still working on the whole “miracle” thing.)

So, all you vixens out there, your comments and suggestions are requested! (Vixens, get it? Little foxes?) (Am I the only one who thinks that’s cute?)

— I’ve noticed that the area between my eye socket and eyebrow is starting to sag. Do the drugstore brand of “eye lifting” products (Neutrogena, Olay, L’Oreal) work as well as,say, Avon or dept. store brands?

— What color lip pencil does one use for RLD? [that’s Red Lipstick Day]

— Why do I suddenly have wrinkles on my decolletage, and what can I do about it?

— I get dark smudges from mascara under my eyes. I’ve tried waterproof mascara, which works better, but still smudges; I’ve tried laying on extra powder under my eyes; I’ve tried changing my foundation–nothing works. Anybody have a solution?

Posted October 26, 2009 at 8:37 pm | Permalink | Reply

Oh, and sorry for the double comment, but I find that powder along the UPPER lash line/on the upper eyelid works better to keep mascara from smudging than powder under the eye (which always gently gravitates to my crow’s feet anyway.)

Posted October 26, 2009 at 8:36 pm | Permalink | Reply

RE: red lipstick day: I’ve been wearing red lip pencil (and rather a lot of it, to keep feathering at bay) and it’s worked fine so far. Though I do covet that reverse liner mentioned in the RLD post.

Posted October 26, 2009 at 7:18 pm | Permalink | Reply

Happy to oblige!
    I’m thinking of that scene from “Young Frankenstein” though….

Posted October 26, 2009 at 6:33 pm | Permalink | Reply

Vixen = female fox.

Makes us all super-foxy, no?

I skip the lower lash mascara application, opting instead for faking it through eye liner.

Posted October 26, 2009 at 6:39 pm | Permalink | Reply

Oh, duh. Where is my brain? If you see it, please drop it in a mailbox for postage-paid return.

I also skip mascara on the lower lashes almost all the time.

5. avatar Kendra Leonard
    Posted October 26, 2009 at 5:20 pm | Permalink | Reply

Re: smudgy mascara–I’ve also had this problem, and what I do now is apply the mascara and then “blot” it as one does lipstick, with a piece of tissue (or even with the backs of my fingers), by blinking my eyes open and hard against the tissue. It takes off some of the extra mascara that causes the smudges, but doesn’t seem to affect the lengthening effect much.

6. avatar Indianalitchick
    Posted October 26, 2009 at 3:10 pm | Permalink | Reply

Re: mascara smudges under the lower lashes. I have very oily eyelids and used to get smudges by noon. I stopped wearing mascara on my lower lashes (outdated), and switched to a mascara that has plastic bristles (like Cover Girl’s Lash Exact or Volume Exact). I think that the plastic bristle don’t pick up excess product.