Open-Thread Thursday; Reader Poll

open wide by z65536.Hey, it’s Open Thread Thursday!

In addition to your regular open-thread questions and comments (which were awesome last week, BTW, so keep ’em coming), we have a reader poll this week. Well, not really a poll, exactly, because it was too complicated. But here’s the question:

In what order do you apply your makeup products?

Photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/_brendan/ / CC BY 2.0

Posted October 30, 2009 at 8:27 pm | Permalink | Reply

Oooh, I forgot eyebrows. They come after eyeliner but before shadow.

Posted October 30, 2009 at 8:26 pm | Permalink | Reply

1. mineral foundation, then powder if I use it (not daily)
    2. eyeliner
    3. eyeshadow (I know this is backwards but I can’t change the habit!)
    4. lipliner/lipstick/gloss
    5. curl eyelashes, mascara

No blush (I’m pink enough.)

Posted October 30, 2009 at 7:09 am | Permalink | Reply

After skin care steps I:
    1) Apply powder foundation (Laura Mercier, Stila IPF) or for special occasions, stick foundation (Shiseido);
    2) Apply eye shadow base (Borghese);
    3) Apply blush (powder, usually Laura Mercier but occasionally Nars or Paula’s Choice);
    4) Apply eye shadow(s) (most often these days Mercier but also Chanel);
    5) Apply eye liner (Merle Norman, Mercier, Giorgio Armani, Elizabeth Arden);
    6) Apply mascara (Lancome’s curling mascara du jour);
    7) Apply lip liner (MAC, Clinique, Guerlain, Estee Lauder,or Mercier);
    8) Apply lipstick or gloss (Chanel, Estee Lauder, Mercier)

4. avatar pinky
    Posted October 29, 2009 at 6:23 pm | Permalink | Reply

Chime to Plin… I apply my kohl first because I inevitably have to clean up my under-eye area with makeup remover when I’m done. Then my powder (Benefit Get Even), eyeshadow and lips. I don’t wear mascara every day, and no blush, although I’ve been thinking of giving it a shot lately.

I never used to wear foundation/powder daily, but Get Even is a dream. It blends perfectly, it’s their fairest color is light enough for my super-duper fair skin, and it does exactly what it says – it evens me out perfectly.

I also brush some under my eyes with a Q-Tip when I haven’t had enough sleep and it lightens up the dark shadows pretty well.

Posted October 29, 2009 at 8:33 pm | Permalink | Reply

Hmm… that Benefit GetEven is something I’m going to have to check out! I always really want to like Benefit products (I admit it, I love the packaging) but the only one’s I’ve really been able to get out the rah-rah for are the Erase Paste and BeneTint. I’ll check out the GetEven, though!

5. Posted October 29, 2009 at 1:47 pm | Permalink | Reply

Okay, I have some questions:

1. I am reaching the dregs of my Kiehl’s Abyssine under eye cream, and need to make a purchase. I’ve been satisfied with it for the past few years, but lo I am aging, and there may be something better for me out there. I’m lucky enough not to have any real issues (yet) with puffiness or dark circles, despite rarely getting enough sleep, so my main concern is the fine lines issue;

2. I need to do something to jazz up my eye makeup. I don’t want to be one of those women who looks like a relic from a previous decade because of eyeshadow color or liner style or whatever. What’s a good source for finding out trends in this area?

In terms of order, I mostly only wear eye makeup and blush except when I’m feeling fancy. So I apply mineral eye brightener, mascara (because I have very long lashes and am clumsy, so if I get mascara spots I’d rather clean them up without having to redo everything), liner (usually dark eyeshadow applied with an angle brush), and a couple of shades of shadow. Rub some cream blush on my cheeks, and off I go.

I need to step up my game overall, I guess. Rereading the above just makes me feel a little pathetic.

Posted October 29, 2009 at 8:46 pm | Permalink | Reply

1. Well, retinol may be for you! I’m loving the Peter Thomas Roth eye cream I’m testing now, but the jury is still out on how it performs on fine lines. The trouble with trying new skincare products is that it takes such a long time to see if they’re working!

Many people do seem to like the RoC Retinol Eye Correxion cream. I use this at night but so far no changes. I have also liked the StriVectin eye cream a lot; this has been my default eye cream for about 5 years.

I have several samples I’m going to be testing and reviewing soon, but again, I won’t be able to talk about long-term effects. Some creams claim to plump up skin right away to reduce the appearance of lines, though.

2. To be entirely honest, I think that one of the best sources of trend info for average Janes (i.e., not supermodels on a runway) is fashion magazines. The looks shown are wearable versions of the more extreme trends you see on the runway and in Sephora catalogues. Classic is always good, though.

The smoky eye is still in, but more subtle than it used to be; outrageously bright eyeshadow colors were in but are going out; purple is still good; Mad-Men-style eyeliner is in (black pen, cat shape); both matte and shimmer eyeshadows are in, and come in powder and cream form; lashes are long, thick, and black (and often fake)… uh, what else? Oh, brows are thicker and more structural.

I’m sure other people can come up with some other trends…