Voxy’s New Year’s Beauty Resolutions

69/365 - food diary. by BLW Photography.So I figure if I’m asking you to talk about your New Year’s beauty resolutions, I’d better belly up to the bar and lay out my own. Hence, therefore, and thusly:

Voxy’s New Year’s Beauty Resolutions for 2010

Things I will start doing:

— “Spend out” by using luxe products I’ve already purchased. This one is inspired by Gretchen Rubin (of Happiness Project fame), who lists “spend out” as one of her Twelve Commandments. “Spending out” means using your good china for dinner, drinking the expensive wine on an average Tuesday, and not hoarding all of your nice stuff until either a) it spoils, b) it goes out of style, or c) you have forgotten what you bought it for in the first place. I tend to look at certain products as “too nice” for everyday use, and then I never know when an occasion is “special” enough to warrant using them. So I’m taking Gretchen as inspiration to “spend out” on the things I’ve already bought by using and enjoying them every day, not hoarding or saving them.

— Purge unused and expired skincare and makeup more often and more ruthlessly. If it smells, globs, clumps, flakes, has stuff growing in it, or is past its expiration date, out it goes.

— Experiment with a greater variety of makeup looks, even for regular old going-to-work days. (This is also part of “spending out.”)

Things I will stop doing:

— No more buying cosmetics when angry, drunk, or both. I was in a positive snit about something the other day and so I threw a hissy fit which for some reason included buying three Lancome lipsticks online. It was the cosmetic-purchase equivalent of angry sex. OK, the lipsticks are awesome, but really, I don’t need to take out my psychological issues on either my (removable) wallet or my cosmetics.

— No more trying to pop the occasional pimple. Oh, come on, who am I kidding?

All right, ladies (and gents?) — what’s on your beauty resolution list for 2010?

Photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/macbeck/ / CC BY 2.0

1. avatar ab_grp
    Posted January 4, 2010 at 9:20 pm | Permalink | Reply

Voxy: I wear a lot of BPAL (Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab) scents, and will be doing a post about them sometime soon. They’re a small company in California that makes a huge variety of perfume oils, some of which are kind of non-traditional.
    I haven’t worn a lot of commercial scents in awhile, but I used to love, love, love Aquolina Pink Sugar, because it’s sweet and ultra-girly. There’s a really, really good vanilla EDT that comes from Anthropologie that I sometimes wear, and I like Comptoir Sud Pacifique a lot too. In general, I like a mixture of sweet (including foody) with amber, resins, spice, or light florals. And on the casual side, I just picked up (from the Bath & Body Works semi-annual sale, at 50% off) the Bigelow Winter Lemon EDT. I love lemon.I wore Chanel No. 5 when I was way too young for it, but that didn’t stop me. I always liked Coco also, but never ended up buying any.

My Chanel Coco Mademoiselle was one of the first items I thought of with respect to the spending out resolution. I love it but tend to save it for special occasions. Same with DK Cashmere Mist. I usually stick with CK Euphoria Blossom for everyday wear, which doesn’t make much sense since they have completely different types of scents (to me, at least, though I know very little about perfumes).

Posted January 1, 2010 at 10:31 am | Permalink | Reply

I’m with Voxy on resolving not to spend when angry/piqued/bored/annoyed/upset.
    On anything (I could spend a small country’s GDP on yarn for knitting quite easily…).

3. avatar LadyStarlight
    Posted December 31, 2009 at 10:02 pm | Permalink | Reply

I’m also resolving to keep up with my tinted moisturizer/powder/blush and at least mascara every morning (btw, I’ll see your 8 AM MWF and raise you 7 AM MTW) before work.

The other thing I’m resolving to do ties in with your ‘spend out’ above — I was given “real” perfume for Christmas and rather than just wearing it ‘for special’, I’m going to wear it whenever I think of it.

Speaking of perfume, any tips for applying it so it doesn’t overwhelm everyone else around me?

Posted December 31, 2009 at 10:45 pm | Permalink | Reply

Ooooh! Whadja get?

(Is that even how you spell that?)

Most commercial perfumes are either eau de toilette (weaker) or eau de parfum (stronger). The difference is in the proportion of the fragrance oil to the alcohol and water. Obviously, if you have an eau de parfum you will apply less.

Exactly how much to apply will depend on lots of things, like the wearlength (it will change after application, with the top notes fading and the middle and base notes coming out) and the sillage or throw (how far away people have to be before they smell you). Your own body chemistry will play a role here too; some people amplify certain notes of a fragrance, and wearlength varies slightly from person to person.

If it comes in an atomizer bottle (as most commercial perfumes do), you can spray it in front of you and then pass your wrist through the mist. (You can also just walk through the mist; that works too.) In general, you want to apply on pulse points or other warm points on the body. Those points include: inside of wrist, inside of elbow, neck, cleavage, back of the knee, and ankle. (Not all at once.)

• avatar LadyStarlight
        Posted January 3, 2010 at 9:29 am | Permalink | Reply

I got “Covet” by Sarah Jessica Parker — edging into ‘real’ perfumes, heh. But I like the scent, and it seems to work okay with my body chemistry.

What’s your favorite scent?

Posted January 3, 2010 at 7:52 pm | Permalink | Reply

Posted December 31, 2009 at 8:36 pm | Permalink | Reply

There is a Sephora nearby. I’ve been too intimidated to go in without some sort of idea of which products I would want to try, but this is very helpful.

What kind of tool would be best for applying the secret concealer?

Posted December 31, 2009 at 8:37 pm | Permalink | Reply

(I’m going to get this reply function right soon.)

Posted December 31, 2009 at 9:43 pm | Permalink | Reply

Yeah, the reply function takes a bit of getting used to. There are some things about WordPress that are not wholly intuitive.

The concealer may be applied with fingertips, but it’s better to apply with a concealer brush and then blend the edges with fingertips. (The warmth of your skin helps “melt” the concealer just a little so it blends more easily.) The brush helps you put it on with a bit more precision; it’s hard to get in the nooks and crannies around your eyes with your fingers sometimes.

A concealer brush will be a smallish brush, with a flat head that’s less than 1/2″ wide, and with bristles that taper to a rounded shape. But there’s no need to spend a ton of money. Ecotools makes really good brushes for next-to-nothing, and you can get them lots of places, including Target. Or, and I can’t believe I didn’t look here before, on drugstore.com. Here is the one you would want:

If you are looking for a brush kit, both the 5-piece/$10.99 and 6-piece/$12.99 brush kits contain a concealer brush. The 5-piece kit also contains some brushes you may want if you decide to gradually add anything else to your makeup, like a powder or an eyeshadow. Link: http://u.nu/55he4

I own the 5-piece kit and several other Ecotools brushes and love them. All brushes should be washed regularly (2-3 times a month, depending on usage); you don’t need special brush cleaner but can use your regular facial cleanser, mixed with a drop of tea tree oil if you like. It takes no time at all.

Keep us posted! I want to know how it all turns out! :)

Posted December 31, 2009 at 5:51 pm | Permalink | Reply

Voxy: I think a tinted moisturizer is a great choice for a simple, easy “starter” regular routine. I like them a lot. Do you have one in mind?Up until a few years ago, I would regularly fall into bed with all my makeup on. What really helped me break the habit was not waiting until I was ready to actually go to bed before taking off my makeup. By that time, I was so tired that the idea of washing my face was really unappealing. Now I do my evening cleansing at around 9:00 or so, and then do the rest of my evening TV watching. I feel virtuous, and when I am ready to go to bed, I can just go.

That is a great tip about cleaning off makeup early. Funny how things you learn as a little kid (wash up just before bed)stick with you. I’d love some advice on tinted moisturizer. My skin is normal to dry and very pale, so I need daily sunblock. I’ve been eyeing the Laura Mercer startup kit at Sephora, but I wasn’t sure.

Posted December 31, 2009 at 6:15 pm | Permalink | Reply

The Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer is very good, and is SPF 20. (I think Inthelab is a fan; she may have a rave of her own to add!)

Is the kit you have in mind the Flawless Face Kit? It looks good for a starter kit, and has two of the products you want: the tinted moisturizer (esp. if the reason the “Nude” kit is called “Nude” is that it contains the “Nude” shade of tinted moisturizer), and the concealer. I use LM Secret Concealer for undereyes; the Secret Concealer is half of what’s in the Undercover Pot. You might find the shade in the kit, which is shade #3, too dark; I have very fair skin as well and I use shade #1.

If you’re near an actual brick-and-mortar Sephora, I’d go and test the products for color. You can get a full-size Tinted Moisturizer and a full-size Secret Concealer or Undercover Pot in the shades of your choice for basically the same you’ll pay for the kit, and not get any of the extra stuff you might not really want (sponge, primer, etc.). Not that they’re not good, but they might be a little unnecessary for a simple starter routine (e.g., it is perfectly acceptable to apply tinted moisturizer with your fingers; using a brush or sponge is optional but not required).

Posted December 31, 2009 at 4:20 pm | Permalink | Reply

I haven’t worn makeup to work much in the past, but I’m getting to an age where my complexion needs a little oomph.My resolution is to start a daily makeup routine, including a good cleansing before bed. I will start foundation/tinted moisturizer, mascara, and concealer for the dark circles.

Posted December 31, 2009 at 4:40 pm | Permalink | Reply

7. avatar ab_grp
    Posted December 31, 2009 at 3:54 pm | Permalink | Reply

I love the spending out resolution. I tend to keep “the good stuff” for special occasions, and by then it’s no longer good. While I don’t tend to spend more when I’m upset, the other resolutions you posted would be perfect for me.

In addition, I would like to paint my nails more often and dress in a more feminine fashion once in a while. I’m in a very quantitative, solitary field, so no one cares what I look like and I take full advantage of that. ;-) I won’t even try for a hair resolution. If it’s not a bun, it’s a ponytail. Maybe next year!

Happy New Year and good beauty to us all.

Posted December 31, 2009 at 4:42 pm | Permalink | Reply

I’ve often wished I were in a field in which I could let my fingernails grow out and paint them pretty colors! Alas, it is not to be. I do love painting my toenails, though! Brightly colored, sparkly, shiny toenails make me happy.

8. avatar Voxy
    Posted December 31, 2009 at 12:33 pm | Permalink | Reply

Ooh, it’s a resolution competition!

9. avatar elsie
    Posted December 31, 2009 at 11:59 am | Permalink | Reply

I’ll see your 8:30 with great hair and raise you to 8:00 MWF with mascara and lip gloss. :-)

10. avatar Grasshopper
    Posted December 31, 2009 at 10:42 am | Permalink | Reply

Resolution #1: to style my hair before work instead of resorting to the Sarah Palin. Before an 8:30 class. Yeah, that’s right. MWF, 8:30, with great hair.

Posted December 31, 2009 at 4:43 pm | Permalink | Reply

We shall expect pictures.

[An emoticon was deleted from this comment.]