Open-Thread Thursday: In Today’s Q of the W, Voxy Needs Advice, plus Fails Sales

Costa Rican Frog by JBEwing.All right, ladies, I need some advice. Plz to share your wisdom!

I have always had unusually bloodshot eyes. Not, like, frightening, or anything, but redder than they ought to be. And no, I am not smoking prohibited substances in the school parking lot after class.

My eye doctor finds nothing wrong, so he opines that I just have dry eye. I used to not really believe him, because my eyes didn’t feel dry, and then I learned that apparently there are some kinds of dry eye that don’t cause your eyes to feel dry, if that makes any sense. My health otherwise is fine. I change my contact lenses perhaps not quite regularly enough, but I’m still within the bounds of reasonably responsible behavior.

I’ve tried OTC drops, but when your eyes don’t feel dry you feel kind of stupid putting drops in them, and it’s easy to forget. There’s also no immediate improvement, which would certainly help me remember to do it. I’ve also started taking fish oil because I’ve heard it can help. I’m not ready to go on to a prescription eye drop, mostly because I guess I’m still not convinced that dry eye is what I have. On random days, I have no redness at all, and then the next day they will be red again, with no changes in diet, environment, makeup, skincare, or allergens that I can determine.

Any ideas? (<- That’s the Q of the W, by the way!)

Sales

Uh, no new ones. Srsly. How lame is that?!?!

Photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jewing/ / CC BY-ND 2.0

Posted March 4, 2010 at 7:07 am | Permalink | Reply

I will try the Opticrom drops; can I get them at Tar-jay or some other drugstore, or are they hard to find?

Opticrom can be found at CVS and the like.
    But you do have to use drops religiously, and it may take a while to feel relief.

Posted March 5, 2010 at 9:24 pm | Permalink | Reply

o.O

Opticrom is discontinued!!!! My pharmacist could not find it in his magic database.

If you have a bottle around, can you tell me what the active ingredient is? Maybe if I can get another product with the same antihistamine it will produce similar results.

2. avatar pink
    Posted February 28, 2010 at 12:04 pm | Permalink | Reply

I use Refresh also. Unless it is allergy season at which point, I use Refresh and a very expensive OTC eyedrop for allergy eyes.

If you spend a lot of time on the computer or reading, then you may find eyedrops to be helpful. I often don’t blink as much in those situations, so eye fatigue and redness are pretty common.

Posted February 28, 2010 at 11:31 pm | Permalink | Reply

Hi Pink,

Can you tell me what the expensive OTC allergy drop is? If it works, I’m willing to pay the money, since I’m really tired of having bloodshot eyes all the time.

Me, spend a lot of time on the computer? Uh, have you seen my fora usage statistics? 246 days, 20 hours, 7 minutes at the moment. Plus I’m on the computer for other work-related stuff almost all the time when I’m not actually teaching or working with students. Yeah, I definitely am guilty of that!

3. avatar baz
    Posted February 26, 2010 at 11:13 pm | Permalink | Reply

My doctor told me to use Refresh just because I am on the computer and reading books, one or the other, pretty much all day.

For some reason I’ve now forgotten these drops were better than others.

Rosacea of the eye? Owzers!

Maybe that’s what Voxy has.

Posted February 28, 2010 at 11:23 pm | Permalink | Reply

I am pretty sure I don’t have rosacea of the eye. I have a really good eye doctor and I think he would probably have spotted it.

Yes, I think Refresh is among the brands I have. I can’t find it at the moment though…

Posted February 25, 2010 at 8:01 am | Permalink | Reply

Do the OTC drops help at all? ‘Cause if they do, turn it into a 2x/day habit like brushing your teeth.
    Also, what OTC drops have you tried? Can it be allergy without itching (for which OTC Opticrom drops may help)?
    Or it could be a response to something in your environment on those days (at work: some chemical or aerosol or something). I’m just throwing out ideas here. I have to use eye drops 2x/day for the ocular rosacea (I like Refresh for that), so to me eye drops isn’t a big deal. But I see why you are puzzled.

Posted February 28, 2010 at 11:28 pm | Permalink | Reply

I can’t see a real difference with the OTC drops. Maybe I have to use them religiously 2-3x a day for a few weeks in order to see improvement? I dunno. My chances of being noncompliant with such a regimen are very high if I don’t see results.

Right now in front of me I have three different kinds of OTC drops: Blink Gel Tears, Systane Ultra, and Bausch & Lomb Soothe XP. I also have Refresh around somewhere, I’m sure of it, but I can’t find it right now. Since I wear contacts, I want to find things that I can use with contacts, if possible. But I’m OK with 1x-2x daily use of drops that have to go in a contact-lens-free eye, like upon waking and upon going to sleep. (The B&L and one of the other drops are this kind.)