Open-Thread Thursday — Q of the W: Beauty Resolution Check-In, Sales

my ultimate n3rd New Year Resolution by jonolist.All right, ladies. It’s now the beginning of March, which puts us at about the two-month mark for the keeping of New Year’s Beauty Resolutions.

Remember those? How are you all doing?

My resolutions were:

1. Stop buying makeup when angry or inebriated. (In other words, stop using cosmetics-based retail therapy to self-soothe.)

Status: Failed once; back on the wagon.

2. Start “spending out” by using the luxe products I’ve already purchased and not saving them for some “special occasion.”

Status: Going well for the most part. I do have some super ultra-red lipsticks that really are not work wear and so they are still in my mental “special occasions” box, but I’m playing with all the rest of my stuff, including samples (which I have a tendency to sit on).

3. Purge unused and expired skincare and makeup more often and more ruthlessly.

Status: Has not yet been tested — although I have been accumulating a lot of crap, come to think of it. But none of it can yet be counted as either expired or unused, since I’m doing well with Resolution #2 above.

4. Experiment with a greater variety of makeup looks, even for regular old going-to-work days.

Status: Going well. I’m trying techniques, products, and brands that are new to me. Occasionally some of them don’t turn out quite as I’d have liked, but none of them have been horrendous. I even experimented with a particularly outré look for a recent event, which I didn’t know if I could carry off but which people seemed to think was cool.

So the Q of the W is: How have you been doing with your New Year’s Resolutions (beauty or otherwise)?

Sales!

Stila is offering 20% off any purchase through 3/5 (that’s Friday) with code STILAFB.

HauteLook has PürMinerals on Friday. Sale begins at 11 am Eastern/8 am Pacific.

Photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonolist/ / CC BY 2.0

1. Posted March 8, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Permalink | Reply

I juice up my eye makeup remover by adding a few drops of jojoba oil into the bottle – the jojoba oil acts as a super-gentle remover for delicate areas. You can use it in place of an emu remover, but it doesn’t have the slip we need to really get in there and clean effectively.

I swear by Trish McEvoy Curling mascara – it’s a high-tech tube formula and doesn’t migrate or sweat. Best of all, it washes out with warm water and no inky residue.

Oh, and no resolutions for me. I’m anti-resolution when it comes to matters of make up, skin care and happy hour. Cheers!

Posted March 5, 2010 at 7:01 pm | Permalink | Reply

“My resolution is to start a daily makeup routine, including a good cleansing before bed. I will start foundation/tinted moisturizer, mascara, and concealer for the dark circles.”

I am doing well on the daily makeup part! Every day I have been wearing either my new Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer, or a mineral powder foundation when my skin is having a blotchy day. I had forgotten that a Mary Kay friend had given me the powder until I went looking for my eyeliner. I am also wearing eyeliner and mascara, and the undereye concealer on days when needed. Now that I’ve had practice, the routine takes me 6 or 7 minutes. My skin doesn’t necessarily look younger, but I do look more healthy and well-rested and on some days my skin even looks flawless.

The cleansing is not going so well. My mascara, despite being waterproof, spends the day migrating to my lower lids. The Almay waterproof eye makeup removing pads, however, seem not to be able to get the stuff off my lashes. I don’t like the job my morning cleanser does for removing makeup either.

So I need to sort out the mascara problem–primer, right?–as well as find a cleanser I like for the evening. Now that I’m stepping it up, I’d like to find a very gentle anti-aging nightcream. And I’d like to try more mineral powder products.

Posted March 5, 2010 at 9:36 pm | Permalink | Reply

Whoo-hoo! Yes, once you get things down, it really doesn’t take very long.

Primer will help with the wandering mascara problem. It migrates because of skin oils on your eyelids, not because of tears/water (so waterproof mascara doesn’t perform any better than regular in this regard). The Almay pads are not so great. If your only reason for using a waterproof mascara is that you think it’s less likely to migrate, then next time you buy mascara, try just getting a regular one. You can use a primer to help keep it in place, and it will come off with your regular cleanser — well, at least, when you find one that you like!

Posted March 5, 2010 at 5:00 pm | Permalink | Reply

Hmmm, I’ve been using up samples (I tend to place them in my travel bag and use them that way; I only bought makeup this year when I did the tryout for D’s wedding (Sunday! does the primer count?); I experimented a lot before going to the makeup artist; I purge pretty often.

I have to be on a severe money diet to pay for a wedding and college; I’m really no angel.
    (It is sooo hard to stay away from lauramercier.com /whimper)

Posted March 5, 2010 at 9:28 pm | Permalink | Reply

Yay for upcoming wedding! I hope everything goes well, and best wishes to the bride and groom! (I’m sure you can also whip that BB MUA into shape! I have a half-finished reply to your story about that, which I was writing when work jumped up from behind and grabbed me by the neck.)

4. avatar elsie
    Posted March 4, 2010 at 3:21 pm | Permalink | Reply

Failed. That 8 am class comes too early to do more than just foundation.

Posted March 4, 2010 at 10:56 pm | Permalink | Reply

Could you just maybe add one thing? Mascara is quick.