Not Enough Facepalm in the World for This One

DSCN1007 by marko8904.

I don’t even need to add any commentary. It speaks for itself.

This article is from Sephora’s Beauty and the Blog, written once again by Jenna Mahoney:

“I’ve been thinking all day long of a good April Fool’s joke to play on you here at B&TB, but instead I’ve been unable to shake this New York Times piece I read earlier this morning. So instead of being all joke-y with you, I’m turning up the dial on the serious beauty talk. The article discussed book of photos by Zed Nelson in which he examines the homogenization of the ideal of beauty. He and his project called Love Me blame globalization for the onslaught of cosmetic procedures, lightening treatments and—believe it or not—beauty pageants. And the photos back up the claims. As someone who works in the beauty and travel businesses, you’d think I’d have a strong opinion on the thesis put forth by Mr. Nelson, but I sort of don’t. I’m wavering between the good and the bad arguments. Is there something wrong with everyone trying to look like everyone else? Probs. As children we tend to understand that difference is—well—different. And it looks like that has extended across the globe to adults. Or maybe it’s simply more reflective of the Coca-colonialism that has taken over the world. I mean hasn’t the notion of looking like the colonizers been pervasive for some time now? The fact that people have aimed to look like the ruling class in order to (and I use quotes around the following) ‘gain social respect and money’ been around for a while. But then I think no matter what I think about the fact that women in Iran are getting nose jobs to look more Anglo and South America sells out of skin whitening creams is wrong, the fact is if it erases exoticism and evens the proverbial global playing field, then maybe we should embrace the notion of sameness. But then I think: If everyone was the same then we’d just live in clonedom or on Pandora or whatever the heck that blue planet is called and how interesting would that be? –Jenna Mahoney”

::facepalm::

Photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/marko8904/ / CC BY 2.

Posted April 4, 2010 at 11:10 am | Permalink | Reply

No, it’s more like the Stila compacts – it’s pressed. But it does look pretty white. (I also ordered some samples of the…something veil or something…from J. Lynne mineral makeup – they make an illuminating powder in a pinkish, a yellowish, a peachy, and a tannish color. They get really good reviews on the site, so I ordered a little sampler pack with one of each.) And if the Concealaholic pack is too dark for you, it’ll probably be just right for me!

Oh, and the Philosophy stuff was the Help Me, a refill of Hope in a Bottle (I like it), and the sunscreen-added Hope something something – it got good reviews on Sephora and MUA, and I’m hoping it will replace my daily moisturizer + sunscreen regimen by doing both. Oh, and I got a tube of that Supergoop for days when I’ll actually be *outside* outside instead of just incidentally outside. I’ll let you know how they are!

Posted April 4, 2010 at 7:07 am | Permalink | Reply

I got the Tarte Peepshow smoky eyes palette, the Benefit concealer package (excited about this!), the Too Faced walk of shame (I really liked the lipstick color AND the eye/cheek colors in that one), and some more sunscreen/Philosophy skin product swag (i know you don’t love Philosophy so I won’t taunt you with that.) And some of the Stila bronzer number 1, the Smashbox illuminating powder, a Smashbox lippie palette with 18 shades, and two new Mac brushes (318, the covered lip, and 216, the pencil brush.) Woohoo!

Posted April 4, 2010 at 7:46 am | Permalink | Reply

That all sounds awesome. I cannot tell you how many times I’ve groped that Benefit Confessions of a Concealaholic kit in the store. It’s just a little too dark for my skin tone, dammit.

Let me know what you think of that, as well as the Tarte eye colors, which I haven’t used.

Is that Smashbox illuminating powder the white HD one that comes with a brush already attached?

(And just because I’m not a philosophile doesn’t mean others who read aren’t! So post away. No judgment here!)

Posted April 3, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Permalink | Reply

So when she lauds the loss of exoticism, is she talking in kind of an Edward Said way about stamping out the viewer’s eroticisation of difference? Or is she just saying that stamping out exotic appearances (like, anybody who’s not totally Heidi Montag-looking) is a good thing? I can’t even figure out how making everybody look the same *could possibly* be good.

On another note, I’ve just spent about $300 at Sephora and on ebay (new brushes!) combined. Damn you, Vox. I couldn’t even wait for the damn sale!!

Posted April 3, 2010 at 5:33 pm | Permalink | Reply

“So when she lauds the loss of exoticism, is she talking in kind of an Edward Said way about stamping out the viewer’s eroticisation of difference?”

I would bet you dollars to donuts she doesn’t know who Edward Said is without a Google.

$300! Whoo-hoo! Whadja get whadja get whadja get? I must know.

4. avatar Voxy
    Posted April 1, 2010 at 10:39 pm | Permalink | Reply

. . .
    !
    ?

Yes. This.

Honestly, I think this writer does more harm than good to Sephora’s online image — not just with this post, either. There have been several that make me want to stab myself in the eye with a fork.

Posted April 1, 2010 at 9:21 pm | Permalink | Reply

. . .

!

?

I’m still sorting out how to feel about the beauty industry as a feminist. This is not helping.

Posted April 1, 2010 at 10:41 pm | Permalink | Reply

. . .
      !
      ?

Yes. This.

Posted April 2, 2010 at 6:57 pm | Permalink | Reply

I’m over my speechlessness on a second read.

I agree that this writer is not doing the Sephora image any good, and the vapid thoughtlessness doesn’t really seem consistent with the brand.

This blog post is troubling me, and it’s pricking at my feelings about the 10-year-old with the extensive and expensive makeup collection from Thursday.

Also, the flippant mention of risky procedures like skin lightening and plastic surgery gives me hives. No doubt tanning beds and Botoxing don’t worry Jenna either.

Posted April 2, 2010 at 7:25 pm | Permalink | Reply

Also, I am excited about the sale.

Posted April 2, 2010 at 7:38 pm | Permalink | Reply

Yeah, maybe we should ask Jenna what *she* thinks of the 10-year-old.

Many of the people who write for Beauty and the Blog do perfectly lovely little pieces on this, that, or the other product or bit of news. It’s really only this author, and this is not the first time that a cringeworthy post has come down the pike. It usually happens when (as in this post) she veers away from “hey, it’s a new lipgloss!” and tries to make some sort of commentary. The problem is that the commentary, which is shallow, not well-thought-out, and sometimes unconsciously offensive, makes her (and by extension Sephora) look worse than if they had never engaged the subject in the first place.

To quote Billy Madison (am I really about to quote Billy Madison???):

“What you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I’ve ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response was there anything that could even be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul!”

6. avatar Froggy
    Posted April 1, 2010 at 7:20 pm | Permalink | Reply

Apparently html tags don’t work so well in these comments!

Posted April 1, 2010 at 8:56 pm | Permalink | Reply

I think you need the pointy brackets, not the square ones. I will try:

Italic

Yep, it’s the <> ones, not the [ ] ones.

7. avatar Froggy
    Posted April 1, 2010 at 7:19 pm | Permalink | Reply

My word. This sounds like something out of that [i]Emma[/i] rehash, [i]Clueless[/i].