Monday Mix: Spa Me, Please! and, Sales

Sunset (not HDR) by Dennis Wong.I’m a spa fanatic, and I’m waking up this morning with the powerful desire to drive off to some stay spa in the middle of nowhere and hide there for about three days. Wrap me in mud and seaweed; scrub me with salt and oils, massage me with warm river rocks, and make me feel like a melted marshmallow. Oh, and, uh, do it for free, please.

Anyone have any at-home spa recipes or procedures they’d like to share? (For example, did you know Pandora has a Spa Radio station?)

Sales!

Well, let’s start with the bad news. If you’ve been using Bing as a cashback-for-purchase incentive, they’ve just announced they’re going to be discontinuing that program as of July 30. Business will continue as usual until then, so you have not quite two more months to take advantage of their deals. And they have some good ones at the moment, too: 22% (!) cashback at DermStore, 10% at Sephora, etc. (If you are a VIB at Sephora and you use Bing cashback to click through tot the site and place your order, you can still get the 10% VIB discount through Sephora’s site, and then get 10% off the remainder via Bing cashback, for a total savings of 19%.) Don’t worry, Ebates (the other major cashback site) is still fully operational.

Speaking of that 10% Sephora VIB discount with code V436CB, it ends today, so better hustle.

A reminder that Editors’ Closet is launching its Beauty Story division today; sales are supposed to begin tomorrow. As of this posting, I don’t have info on what those sales will be, but I will later and will update if I get the chance.

Also, fragrance hounds, the regular Editor’s Closet site is having a Fragrance Boutique tomorrow beginning at 11 am Eastern/8 am Pacific. Brands unknown.

HauteLook has ‘Tini Beauty today and Juice Beauty skincare tomorrow; all sales begin at 11 am Eastern/8 am Pacific.

POPBeauty has 30% off through June 20 with code POPSummer.

Photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/denniswong/3447258215/

1. avatar Lady Starlight
    Posted June 9, 2010 at 10:29 pm | Permalink | Reply

I used to make a salt scrub — equal (ish) parts of sweet almond oil, apricot kernel or grapeseed oil (or all three, any combination would pretty much work) and sea salt. Mix it up into an either more oily or more salty scrub. You could also mix in a scented oil too.

2. avatar baz
    Posted June 8, 2010 at 12:03 am | Permalink | Reply

Oh poo!

I posted a comment with a few spa treatment recipes but it might have gotten lost somehow. I’m posting a link to a page that has a number of such recipes

This one is for a hammam or turkish bath type deal:

If my recipes don’t appear after a day I’ll repost. I do love at-home treatments.

3. Posted June 7, 2010 at 8:59 pm | Permalink | Reply

I’ve pasted a link in the website slot here.

The website has tons of recipes for various spa-type treatments. This one is for a hammam or turkish bath. In this case they suggest just leaning over a bowl with a towel making a tent so you breathe in the steam and your pores drink in the recipe.

I’ve been seeing a LOT of recipes for cellulite or undereye bags to be made with coffee grounds. I love coffee but I don’t like the idea of smelling coffee grounds all over me.

1/2 cup used coffee grounds (yuck)
    1/2 cup honey
    1tbsp orange zest
    3 drops orange essential oil or fleur d’oranger water

I usually do something similar without the coffee

I just use

brown sugar
    vitamin E or Almond oil
    a few drops of orange oil
    or mint oil or mint leaves
    and lemon zest or lemon oil

for my face
    oatmeal
    milk
    almond paste
    maybe some drops of almond essential oil
    or just plain almond oil
    maybe dried lavender or rose petals

for more acidic or sloughing off of deadskin:

ground pineapple
    olive oil
    parsley

Posted June 7, 2010 at 2:25 pm | Permalink | Reply

If you lived just a little (well, a lot) closer, I could have taken you to a spa next weekend for free. I’m sure you didn’t really want to know that.

I’ve never tried any home spa recipes but did find this one online:

1. Add a cup of Kitty Litter to a microwave safe container and add water so that the Kitty Litter is covered by an inch or so of water.
    2. Microwave the Kitty Litter mixture for a minute.
    3. Apply the Kitty Litter face mask and relax for 10 minutes.

I doubt you will want to try that, though…

There are some less odd suggestions on the site I found that on — http://www.pantryspa.com/category/beauty-pantry/fabulous-face/94/1/index.html

Posted June 7, 2010 at 5:47 pm | Permalink | Reply

Oh. My. God.

Well, I guess if the litter is mostly clay, then you would have a clay mask.

I just don’t think I could bring myself to do that, though.

• avatar baz