Thursday Tossup: What Makeup Should I Pack?, and, Sales

Pure Beauty :p by límite~increíble.It is the eternal question.

You mean, “What walks on four legs in the morning, two at noon, and three at night?”

No. Not that one. The OTHER eternal question, smartass. What makeup should I take with me when I travel?

First of all, you should know that I have issues with scarcity. I am an “and” girl, not an “or” girl. Always have been, always will be. I want the hot fudge and the nuts. And the whipped cream. And the cherry. And yes, if it could also be on fire that would be awesome. I am the person who, when confronted with two equally yummy-smelling bottles of shampoo/perfume/whatever, must have them both because WHAT IF I MAKE THE WRONG DECISION AND DON’T REALIZE IT UNTIL IT’S TOO LATE?

(This is perhaps the reason why, if you were to open my bath closet on any average Tuesday, you would find approximately 43 different types of scrubs, washes, soaps, and gels. If you actually look in the shower there are probably 6 to 8 out at any given point in time.)

You can understand, therefore, that the idea that I would travel without taking with me every piece of makeup I own is, frankly, terrifying. What if I needed, I mean REALLY NEEDED, that one particular eyeshadow color? Or I stupidly, stupidly left THAT PERFECT BRUSH at home? Panic!

Part of my brain understands that this is really nuts. The goal in choosing makeup for travel is to bring just enough options that Scarcity Brain doesn’t feel anxious and threatened but not so much clutter that Sensible Brain is annoyed, starts to resent Scarcity Brain for running the show, and flounces off in a huff, not to be heard from for the remainder of the trip. We need Sensible Brain. Trust me.

So. Please to share with me your travel makeup must-haves. Here is what I know I will be taking:

• Primer (just one!)
• Foundation (just one!)
• Setting powder
• TFSI
• MAC Painterly paint pot
• Concealer (just one!)
• Mascara (just one!)
• Brow pencil (just one!)
• Clear brow gel (I only have one of these anyway)
• TFLI lip primer

… and so you can see that the place I run into trouble is everything that has color: eyeliners, eyeshadows, blushes, lipsticks. I know there are people who can travel with one palette and get through the whole trip with one neutral look, but that makes Scarcity Brain gibber with fear and run around in circles. I need, I think, at least two looks: a brown/neutral/peach look, and a pink/purple look.

I have some ideas about how I’m going to do this, but let’s hear your tips for choosing and packing makeup for travel! I will not be flying anywhere, so I don’t need to worry about the 3-oz. rule, but I do want to be reasonably conscious of space.

Sales!

Another slow week in the Sales Department. I guess everyone is on vacation.

HauteLook has Vincent Longo today (Thursday), 7/1, beginning at 11 am Eastern/8 am Pacific.

Oh, hey, here’s a few new ones:

Tarte has 30% off through 7/5 with code FIREWORKS.

SkinCareRX has 20% off of most things through 7/19 with code NEWLOOK20. If you order early enough you will also receive one of the spring beauty caches for free! It won’t show up in your list but will ship with your order.

Photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/taqo_belle/1373150429/

Posted July 2, 2010 at 5:43 pm | Permalink | Reply

Does lipstick/gloss/mascara have to go in the TSA-approved bag?

I leave those in my little canvas makeup bag and have not had a problem with TSA yet.

Posted July 2, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Permalink | Reply

Bar lotion? Do tell.I have some Burt’s Bees bar shampoo but I haven’t tried it yet.

I got ones from Chagrin Valley – they’re good so far. LUSH also makes bar lotions that have obsessive followings. My skin’s not THAT dry, so I don’t end up like a heavily-crayoned cactus, like Vox apparently does.

3. avatar Indianalitchick
    Posted July 1, 2010 at 10:20 pm | Permalink | Reply

Does lipstick/gloss/mascara have to go in the TSA-approved bag?

Posted July 2, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Permalink | Reply

Yes–at least it did when I flew last month. I had mine loose in my bag and they asked me to put them in the plastic bag and go back through security.

Posted July 1, 2010 at 7:32 pm | Permalink | Reply

Do you bring your usual daily routine or do you have a special travel routine?

I bring part of my regular routine and treat myself to those expensive samples-that’s what I save a lot of them for.

Posted July 1, 2010 at 9:07 pm | Permalink | Reply

That is a great idea! Having something pampering to look forward to while waiting in all those airport lines.

Posted July 1, 2010 at 7:25 pm | Permalink | Reply

Shoot, woman, if you’re not flying take it all! (Well, take all the everyday stuff, at least.) I’d take (in the TSA bag) primers, eyeliner (I use a dark brown-black BB gel eyeliner so it has to go in the bag), MAC shadestick or two, MAC paint pot, the Nars Multiple and maybe one other blush (a Stila CC would be a good choice), mascara, concealer, and 3 lipsticks. (I actually bought bar shampoo and bar lotion so that I could leave them out of the TSA bag so I’d have room for my makeup!)

The rest is powder stuff (mineral foundation [I just ordered some GloMinerals loose foundation; any experience with that?], MUFE HD powder, BB eyeshadow palette with my everyday shades [dark taupe, peach, bone], and any other powdery stuff I feel like taking), so I pack it all in a small train case and stuff the top of the train case with my brush roll so things don’t shift. And I ALWAYS take it all in my carryon. I would be SO FUCKING PISSED if they lost all my high-end makeup – my brushes would be so expensive to replace!!

I figure it’s easier to get deodorant, etc at a destination CVS than it is to find a Sephora.

I’m not much of a colored eye girl at the moment, so the one set of relative neutrals work for me.

Posted July 1, 2010 at 9:00 pm | Permalink | Reply

Bar lotion? Do tell. I have some Burt’s Bees bar shampoo but I haven’t tried it yet.

Posted July 1, 2010 at 10:03 pm | Permalink | Reply

I’ve used some bar lotions before and they can be nice depending on the formulation and depending on how dry your skin is. Sometimes if my skin is too dry they just sit on top so I have a waxy top layer over prickly dry skin underneath.

Posted July 1, 2010 at 5:48 pm | Permalink | Reply

I have a travel beauty bag packed with my must-haves; I go over it a day before I travel to keep it up to date. Yes I check it BUT I carry in my purse TSA-approved sized containers of sunblock, moisturizer, hand lotion, few other goodies. I always have in my purse Stila Illuminating Powder foundation, some lipsticks, gloss, lipliner. I can manage until luggage shows up or I find the nearest CVS.

Posted July 1, 2010 at 6:14 pm | Permalink | Reply

Do you bring your usual daily routine or do you have a special travel routine?

7. avatar elsie
    Posted July 1, 2010 at 4:26 pm | Permalink | Reply

My recent mistake was packing too many of my toiletries in my checked luggage. So are you checking luggage? What if it goes astray like mine did? What do you absolutely have to have to go in the carry-on, and what will be nice to have and therefore can go in checked luggage?

• avatar elsie
      Posted July 1, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Permalink | Reply

Ah, I see on a closer look that you’re not flying so my questions don’t apply. However, they will be relevant for someone sometime, so I’ll leave them be.

Posted July 1, 2010 at 4:42 pm | Permalink | Reply

Although that doesn’t apply to my upcoming trips, it did happen to me on a conference trip last year. I had to trek through the hood to find a CVS and replenish the bare necessities. I feel your pain!

Posted July 1, 2010 at 4:58 pm | Permalink | Reply

I rarely wind up checking a bag, but this is an interesting question. Now that I am glamming it up it my be difficult for me to get everything I use into the quart bag.

Posted July 1, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Permalink | Reply

Have you decided what clothes you are going to pack? If you roughly plan what you’re going to wear while you are away, you might find it easier to pick makeup colours to take with you (that’s if you coordinate makeup with clothes, which I do).

Of course, if you’re anything like me, that suggestion won’t help much as I have the same attitude towards clothes as you do to makeup; I have to take *everything* with me.

Posted July 1, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Permalink | Reply

Well, that’s why I’m thinking about warm and cool options for everything. I do coordinate makeup with clothes, though not to an obnoxious degree. But yes, if I am wearing a fuschia sweater, I am not going to wear peach blush. I’m going with something that’s at least on the right side of the color wheel!

So I think I’ll need a neutral eye (yay UD Naked palette) with black and brown liners, plus a violet eye with violet and blue liners. The blushes will probably be Stila CCs because they’re thin and packable, or maybe the Almay Smart Shades for the same reason. Lippies are still undecided.

I just bought a train case today that is a little bigger than I wanted but that has some awesome features that I plan to take full advantage of. I’ll probably do a post on it.

Posted July 1, 2010 at 5:00 pm | Permalink | Reply

I’d love to see your train case and hear about anyone else’s travel kit. I’m a bit of a bag and organizer junkie.

Posted July 1, 2010 at 4:51 pm | Permalink | Reply

When I travel, especially for work, I usually choose my clothes carefully for mixing and matching.

I have not (yet!) advanced to having much variety in color in my makeup to coordinate with my clothes, but I imagine by this fall I’ll be picking the makeup to match after choosing my palette.