Monday Mix: Adieu, Aromaleigh; OMG Get Out Of My Way It’s STEREO ROSE!; Sales

After several successful years of business, indie cosmetics company Aromaleigh is closing its doors, which makes many people sad and which also, I’m sure, will give others a delicious little thrill of schadenfreude. The company’s products are generally well-regarded, but customer service has been … reported to be an issue. I never had any trouble, but it’s been a long time since I ordered from them. If you like any of their products, now’s the time to buy, since they are offering 35% off at their website until things sell out. Use code ADIEU35; minimum order $10.

(The photo, by the way, is a photo of Schadenfreude Pie, and if you click on it you will be taken to John Scalzi’s scrumptious recipe for it. Well, I mean, the pie is scrumptious. The recipe itself probably just tastes like paper.)

If you feel a collective gathering tension in the air, like a pack of slavering dogs preparing to burst free from their cage (or, come to think of it, like WalMart at three minutes to midnight on Black Friday), this is because the latest MAC collection, “In the Groove,” is releasing this week, and MAC fans everywhere are chomping at the bit to get their hands on the re-release of Stereo Rose, one of the most popular LE Mineralize Skinfinish products ever. Mineralize Skinfinishes (MSFs) are baked mineral products that usually are on the shimmery or frosty side and can be used as blushes, highlighters, or bronzers, depending on the shade. Technically the collection is supposed to release on 7/8, but it might show up online or in stores a day or two early. Stereo Rose is pretty much guaranteed to sell out within hours, so if you want to participate in the flashmob, keep your eye on the website and stalk your local MAC store or counter. I haven’t decided whether or not I’m in on this one.

Sales!

Super. Slow. Week.

Stila is offering 20% off through 8/31 with code DERBYDOLLS.

HauteLook has Red Ginger Cosmetics today (7/5), DaLish Cosmetics on Tuesday (7/6), and LORAC on Thursday (7/8). All sales begin at 11 am Eastern/8 am Pacific.

Photo: http://whatever.scalzi.com/2006/09/26/how-to-make-a-schadenfreude-pie/

Posted July 9, 2010 at 8:23 pm | Permalink | Reply

Oh, sorry, I always confuse the MAC and MUFE F&B’s. Can’t imagine why. ;)That pilling is usually a silicone-related problem. Could something be going on with that?

Dunno. I wear it over the Smashbox, but I wear everything over teh Smashbox, and that’s the only time I’ve noticed it. It’s not exactly pilling-they’re not like little crumbs, it just looks like it’s flaked off in places and adhered in other places, so if you look really closely it’s like a puzzle with every other piece missing, and my red skin shows through the holes. It’s weird. Once my new iPhone comes in I’ll take a super-hi-res picture for you so you can diagnose it for me!

Posted July 8, 2010 at 11:03 pm | Permalink | Reply

Foundation woes? What happened to your love affair with MUFE F&B?I ordered some eyeshadow from her several years ago, when I knew much less about mineral makeup than I do now. I’m sure I could find some things in there to love, but I’m going to save those $$ for something else, I think.

It was MAC F&B, and I just kind of got over it. It separates weirdly, and I have to shake it a whole lot, and it’s runny. I think it was actually a CONCEALER problem but I was having little pills of color and then skin in between, and so I got mad at the foundation, but now that I think about it, it’s done that with lots of OTHER foundations so I think it’s either 1) inevitable, or 2) something bad about my concealer or concealer technique.

But C3 is too dark for me anyway.

Posted July 8, 2010 at 11:07 pm | Permalink | Reply

Oh, sorry, I always confuse the MAC and MUFE F&B’s. Can’t imagine why. ;)

Posted July 8, 2010 at 10:01 pm | Permalink | Reply

Well, the whole thing seems to be a bit of a tempest in a teapot to a complete outsider, but that’s the way things are, especially on the internet, I supposed. People get HIGHLY bent out of shape over what seems to be relatively minor stuff. Whatever happened to the old benefit of the doubt?

Anyhow, I ordered a couple of foundations and some eyeshadows with the closeout discount. She sure does have some pretty stuff. (The matte eggplant and grape shadows, and the Carolina collection greens, look RIGHT up your alley. Have you tried her stuff at all?)

ALSO, discovered today that my foundation woes appear to be due to me attempting to match the darkest places on my skin rather than bring them up to the lighter places. I tried out Stila stick foundation in B, which appears VERY light, and it’s amazing! I looked prettier today than I have in weeks! (So in the AL foundations I got one straight-up linen color, one warm/linen, and one yellow/linen. I’m going to see if my new insight holds true.)

Posted July 8, 2010 at 10:09 pm | Permalink | Reply

Foundation woes? What happened to your love affair with MUFE F&B?

Posted July 8, 2010 at 6:29 pm | Permalink | Reply

So…I tried to find out the dramz on Aromaleigh, and all I found was a bunch of crap about Lime Crime. What’s the deal with Aromaleigh? Her stuff looks BEAUTIFUL. I’m sad I didn’t know about her before!

Also: which makeup blogs do YOU read? There are a lot of weird sucky ones out there, but in linking out from a bunch of the MINERAL MAKEUP FREAKOUTS OMG, I’ve found some really interesting ones. (Gothique’s style is absolutely to die for!)

Posted July 8, 2010 at 6:41 pm | Permalink | Reply

There are a lot of reports of people contacting her for customer service and getting responses that they characterize as unprofessional. (Of course they say it in far more colorful terms, but I’m just describing the situation and not wanting to add to any drama.) She’s been involved in some of those situations that have been like tabloid celebrity stories that have included drama on websites and comments being deleted and then arguments over comments being deleted and then some websites severing their ties with other websites and it’s all very exhausting. I stay out of it, myself.

FWIW, the comments about the products are generally very good.

Re: makeup blogs — I subscribe to 35 currently, mostly to keep up on what other people are finding and swatching. There were some, even one or two major beauty bloggers, that I found so annoying I had to stop reading them, so that number is down a bit from what it was a few months ago. There are a few bloggers who get PR products in such quantity that they can review several products per day, which is more than I can do at the moment. I haven’t put together a blogroll for this site yet because I want to be judicious about who I recommend (and frankly I haven’t had the time).