Thursday Tossup: Empty Mailbox Syndrome; Yum! It’s Hair Jam; Sales

Hate Mail by TerryJohnston.If my mailman does not bring my Urban Decay Naked palette in the mail today… well, let’s just say there will be consequences. By which I mean, I will fume and sulk a lot. This will be unpleasant for my friends and for people who have the bad luck to meet me in the street. So, Mr. Postman, you have been warned.

UPDATE: Yay for Mr. Postman! UD palette arrived; will photograph and hopefully swatch this afternoon!

I wasn’t originally going to talk about this, but what the heck. It remains fascinatingly macabre. You can read about it elsewhere on the Web (search “occult jam”), but this CNN blog is an excellent start:

For Sale: Jam Infused with Princess Diana’s Hair

Sales!

Still a Super. Slow. Week. It’s the heat, probably.

HauteLook has LORAC today starting at 11 am Eastern/8 am Pacific.

Gilt has Mario Badescu skincare going on now. The prices aren’t a huge discount (especially when you tack on shipping), but if you have a hard time getting Mario Badescu where you are, it might be worth it.

Previously announced sales still in progress:

Stila is offering 20% off through 8/31 with code DERBYDOLLS • SkinCareRX has 20% off of most things through 7/19 with code NEWLOOK20.

Photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/powerbooktrance/348518831/

Posted July 8, 2010 at 8:30 pm | Permalink | Reply

Ok, the jam article was not anywhere near as disgusting as I thought it would be.

It’s a bit of a limited business plan though, selling jam infused with Princess Di’s hair; not only are most people not likely to be overly enthusiastic about spreading this on their toast in the morning, unless this guy is only putting one picogram of hair into each jar, the hair supply is going to run out pretty quickly. I mean, exactly how much of Princess Diana’s hair is publically available for such purposes?

Posted July 8, 2010 at 9:19 pm | Permalink | Reply

“I mean, exactly how much of Princess Diana’s hair is publically available for such purposes?”

You know, I really don’t think I want to know the answer to that. And I can also think of many people whose hair is a lot less aesthetically appealing than Diana’s, and I’m sure they’d be happy to sell a little bit of theirs… Yeesh.

2. avatar elsie
    Posted July 8, 2010 at 3:57 pm | Permalink | Reply

Voxy

I need some facial advice. Since I’ve lost weight, my frown lines around my mouth have grown more pronounced. I actually look like I’m frowning on one side of my mouth, to the point that someone told me to smile the other day. One side of my mouth is fine, the other is distinctly frowny. Do I have any options at all?

Posted July 8, 2010 at 4:58 pm | Permalink | Reply

How do you feel about cosmetic injectable fillers? (Juvederm, Restylane, etc.) I think that what you’re describing is in that category; face creams won’t really do much for any problem that doesn’t lie really close to the surface of your skin.

(And yay! for the weight loss. Send your good weight-loss karma over here, will ya?) :)

• avatar elsie
        Posted July 8, 2010 at 5:50 pm | Permalink | Reply

I’m thinking the injectable filler may be the only way to go. Normally, I wouldn’t consider it, but the downturn makes my face look very asymmetrical and my expression look like a scowl.

3. avatar Francie
    Posted July 8, 2010 at 11:15 am | Permalink | Reply

As if I needed another reason to hate contemporary art.

I guess I’d need to wash that jam down with some sparkling Watteau.

[booing] “But it’s my only line!”

• avatar Relationalista
      Posted July 8, 2010 at 12:06 pm | Permalink | Reply

Grooaaan!
      As art I think it’s actually pretty good. As jam? I’ll let someone else make the call.

Posted July 8, 2010 at 10:50 am | Permalink | Reply

re: Occult Jam
    1. Ewwww. (Even though most of us have probably eaten way grosser things, and even known about it much of the time.)
    2. This started with an exhibition and still smacks of art practice to me, that the jam is actually being sold notwithstanding. There’s a long (if not always or entirely noble) tradition of icky things in jars or cans being produced and sold as art. I might actually figure out some way to use this (not the *actual* jam) in my conceptual art history class next year.