WANT

Joan Holloway and Betty Draper Barbies.

Want.

Although, don’t you think they haven’t done Joan quite enough justice in the body department? Well, I guess it is still Barbie, after all, and so we have to have our lovely curvaceous-and-sexy-as-hell starlets reproportioned into impossible hourglasses with waists that not even Scarlett O’Hara could suck it in for.

On the other hand, Betty Draper looks … pretty much like Betty Draper. And January Jones is looking much better as a Barbie doll than she has in some of her real-life looks lately.

Also, what is with this disclaimer from Mattel?

“Production doll may vary from the photo shown above. Mattel reserves the right to modify the fashion/fabrics, sculpt, hair color/style, and accessories.”

What? The whole reason to buy the damn thing (for $75, no less — $75!!!!) is for the fashion/fabrics, sculpt, hair color/style, and accessories.

I also like how the men have their chests thrust forward. Very alpha-male. And has there ever been a silver-haired Barbie of either the male or female variety?

Of course I am also longing for a Mad Men Barbie Dream Office, with little martini glasses and tiny bottles of Scotch. And cigarettes. Lots of Barbie cigarettes. Unfortunately, these are not among the included accessories — which are a mixed bag. Don comes with a brown overcoat (with red lining), a faux leather briefcase, and a fedora. Betty comes with a comb, a coral lipstick (not a real one, so don’t get excited), and a compact with the letter “B” on it. Roger apparently has no accessories; I suppose that Barbie condoms would be too much to expect. And as for Joan — she comes with a purse, but apparently she also comes with some … er, other extras. BarbieCollector.com says: “Armed with a pen necklace, she’s ready to dazzle in this stunning deep purple suit, brilliantly offset by a crimson silk collar. Her undergarments are equally stylish, and compliment [sic] her curvaceous figure.”

I really wish they wouldn’t have cheapened Joan (and, by extension, Christina Hendricks), by encouraging buyers to take her Barbie doll’s clothes off.

Anyway, if you want ’em, you can get ’em at BarbieCollector.com for the low low price of $74.95. Each.

Photo: BarbieCollector.com

1. avatar Francie
    Posted July 27, 2010 at 11:43 am | Permalink | Reply

Of course I want these! Just look at my username. It is not a coincidence.

And where is Sal, btw? He wasn’t in the season premiere. Seems like he would have been recruited by the new firm.

• avatar Relationalista
      Posted July 27, 2010 at 8:23 pm | Permalink | Reply

I hold out hope for Sal’s return! His character is just too good.

And Francie, on the matter of your name and tv: do you watch Weeds? Partner and I have been getting through it on dvd, and in the fourth (I think) season, it’s revealed that the nasty father-in-law of the main character, Nancy, has always called her “Not-Francie” because he doesn’t like her but he loved her husband’s girlfriend of many years earlier, whose name was Francie. And since you’re Francie, but also *not* Francie (and also because I grew up being called by my sister’s name, with starts with the same letter and has the same number of syllables), I’ve been finding that very amusing.

• avatar Francie
        Posted July 30, 2010 at 8:21 am | Permalink | Reply

I’ve never watched “Weeds”, but if there’s a “Francie” involved, maybe I’ll rent it! Francie is also the name of the main character in A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, which I had forgotten until recently. I love one of the descriptions of Mattel’s Francie, though. She is “Barbie’s modern cousin”. I guess the “Mad Men” version of Francie would have Peggy’s hair and wardrobe.

Posted July 27, 2010 at 9:46 am | Permalink | Reply

I do love Joan. And I might need to have her pen necklace.

Roger’s silver hair is nice, but his slight cragginess is part of that, so his doll just doesn’t cut it for me. But the male character I think should be immortalized with a doll is Salvatore Romano, who is always gorgeously groomed and dressed, has impeccable manners, and is (poor guy) locked tightly in the closet. There is much sympathy for Sal in my home.

3. avatar JD
    Posted July 27, 2010 at 9:05 am | Permalink | Reply

The Joan doll is pretty fantastic. Although I agree that they didn’t give her the great body she should have. I kind of hope they extend the line to other cast member. For some reason, I feel Pete needs to be immortalized in doll form.

Posted July 27, 2010 at 3:02 am | Permalink | Reply

I wanted computer geek Barbie but I think I want Joan Barbie even more.