I Didn’t Even Know There *Were* 50 Shades of Lipstick

Just kidding. Of course I did!

Make Up For Ever has just released 50 (!) new shades of lipstick. (Seriously, did they just go, “OMG, we haven’t been making lipstick!”?) The new lipsticks are called Rouge Artist Intense, and the shade chart is below.

I thought we might have a little fun with choosing the shades we’re most drawn to on the chart, and guessing what shades other readers are drawn to. For example, I habitually purchase something like shade X, but I am always, always, always drawn to shade Y. You get to guess what X and Y are, and you get points for being close (because really, who can tell off a swatch chart?).

So, go for it.

Posted August 17, 2010 at 7:44 am | Permalink | Reply

Huh. I wonder if it’s because the ones I got in the set are so neutral that I didn’t have trouble with them; no scales to be seen, but we’re not talking about the turquoise here. The lighter champagne color is a bit hard to work with only because it’s so, SO sparkly, but I haven’t had trouble wtih them other than that. Odd.

2. avatar baz
    Posted August 16, 2010 at 3:32 pm | Permalink | Reply

My X= 8

but many are my Ys (according to outfit)

Y= 46; 41, 36; 10; and the occasional glittery 50 (which I occasionally used as eyeliner– I know- ewwww, but I use a brush always on my 50)

3. avatar Voxy
    Posted August 15, 2010 at 8:56 pm | Permalink | Reply

OK, so here are mine.

My X (the colors I tend to actually buy) are things like #32 and #19.

My Y’s are #21 and #44 (and things like them). I love the saturation of the color, but don’t often think they actually look good on my lips. I wear clothes that are those colors, though.

And I did manage to buy two actual red lippies while I was gone and another that’s kind of a hot pink if I remember correctly. So I’m getting closer to Y turning into X.

Posted August 20, 2010 at 9:00 pm | Permalink | Reply

Have you actually seen these MUFE lipsticks yet? I had a look at them today. The colours are absolutely nothing like how they look on the chart, they’re all *much* brighter. #36, for example, is serious fuschia pink. If you wore that, you might as well be walking down the street yelling LOOK AT ME I HAVE BRIGHT PINK LIPS!!!

#15 is a bright glittery lilac, and #48 is not purple at all; it looks more like you would expect #41 to look. #40 is the same shade as an orange highlighter.

Posted August 20, 2010 at 9:05 pm | Permalink | Reply

I’ve only seen some photos people have taken (swatching on their arm, etc.); I am not yet allowed to set foot in a Sephora again for a little while after my recent binge.

Swatch charts like what there is above and what you see on Sephora or brand websites when you go to order are just never, NEVER accurate. And then what they look like out of the tube is never what they look like on you, and every person is different, etc. I wish there were a better, more accurate way to show color but I just don’t think there is.

Posted August 15, 2010 at 8:23 pm | Permalink | Reply

I’m guessing Voxy’s X is 9 and your Y is 41. (With the caveat that 9 is a way way brighter version of the one that you usually purchase. So really kind of a combo of 9 and 20.)

For me, X is 32, 37, 38; Y is 40. I freaking LOVE bright orange lipsticks…IN THEORY.

Posted August 15, 2010 at 8:58 pm | Permalink | Reply

I wish I could carry off bright orange lipstick, but there is just no way, ever.

5. avatar baz
    Posted August 14, 2010 at 5:13 pm | Permalink | Reply

For voxy

x= 23

y = 37

6. avatar ab_grp
    Posted August 14, 2010 at 9:29 am | Permalink | Reply

I’ll guess X=43, Y=8. I’m probably not even close! It’s hard for me to see the colors on this screen [excuse!].

There are a lot of colors that I am drawn to here, and a couple that I tend to wear are approximated. I think that I might be color challenged.

Posted August 13, 2010 at 11:30 am | Permalink | Reply

Chaosbydesign,
    I hope I am remembering correctly that you are the Vixen who wears eyeliner even in the jungle.

I’m guessing your X would be something like #47, but your Y would be something really bold like #8 or #46.

Posted August 14, 2010 at 1:09 am | Permalink | Reply

I think CBD’s X is like a #9 or a #36, but I bet she is intrigued by #48.

A Biologist, I bet you habitually buy something like a #33 or a #37. With your coloring, I’d love to see you rock a #28.

Posted August 16, 2010 at 8:48 am | Permalink | Reply

#8 and #9 are my X shades. I have a few lighter glosses, but I usually end up putting them over a lipstick. I’m wearing Lancome L’Absolu Rouge at the moment — a recent Sephora purchase — which I think is closest to #8, and I love it.

And, of course, Voxy is absolutely right about #48 being my Y shade. I just love the colour, but I’m never sure whether or not purple a good lipstick colour. What do you think? I had a lilac one once that just made me look dead.

(A Biologist, I’m not sure i’ve ever mentioned my eyeliner habit on here so you may have been thinking about someone else, however I very rarely leave the house without eyeliner and mascara on. I was recently very pleased to discover that I can swim in one of my eyeliners and it does not come off…)

Posted August 14, 2010 at 11:16 am | Permalink | Reply

Wow, these colors look different in the morning. A Biologist, let me modify my guess. #28 looks way browner this morning than it did last night. Let me amend my guess for something I’d like to see you rock to a #19 or a #20 — a sophisticated dark rosy nude or a muted berry.

Posted August 15, 2010 at 9:09 pm | Permalink | Reply

You are good, Voxy! A #33/#37 ish pink gloss and a #20 muted berry are the two colors of lippie that I keep in my purse. I have been nervous about trying dark nudes but I will certainly test out something like #19 the next time I shop.

Posted August 13, 2010 at 9:16 am | Permalink | Reply

That’s not easy, but I’d say your X is either #21 or #41, and Y is #9 or #45.

Two colours on there are close to my usual shades, and there is one that I really like but would probably never wear as I’m not sure it is really a good lip colour. I can’t actually imagine #14, #15, #49 or #50 looking good on anyone, if those shades are accurate at all.

I am still not on friendly terms with Make Up For Ever after having had purple Aqua Cream stuck to my eyelid for two days, refusing to come off. Hopefully these lipsticks will be better than that!

Posted August 14, 2010 at 1:04 am | Permalink | Reply

Any other guesses for me?

(And, CBD, I don’t think I responded to your MUFE experience because I was out of town and not keeping up with everything very well, but thank you for validating my Aqua Creams experience. I feel better knowing it’s not just me. Especially since I *really* wanted that #19 shade but it’s not sold in the US.)

Posted August 16, 2010 at 9:00 am | Permalink | Reply

Oh, yes, I’d intended to post something about my Aqua Cream experience on here as well for the rest of the collective, but I forgot to do it!

Basically, I tested them in Sephora on my arm and *thought* I really liked them — they went on nicely and evenly and appeared to be easy to work with. Don’t be fooled by this! The minute I put the damn stuff on my eyes, it clumped and dried in a way that resembled scales, and then refused to come off. I got the majority of it off after a considerable length of time (it was shade #19) but it stayed around the edges of my eyes for ages and no amount of makeup remover was getting rid of it. They’re not joking by calling it ‘Make Up Forever’.

I have since tried to use it again with various application techniques, but it just doesn’t go on well with a brush, sponge applicator or with fingers, so I’ve given up on it. Totally not worth spending money on these unless you are aiming for the scaly eyes look. Shiseido’s Hydro-Power cream eyeshadow is *so* much better.

Posted August 16, 2010 at 9:15 am | Permalink | Reply

I picked up two of the BE Buxom Stay-There eyeshadows while I was away and hope that they are also better than the MUFE. Pics and reviews to follow, of course. No store I went to had any testers out of the Shiseido in any colors I would consider actually wearing. (Light teal is pretty, but not for an eye color on me.)

Posted August 16, 2010 at 10:18 am | Permalink | Reply

I have the Violet Visions Hydro-Powder (which is unfortunately nowhere near as purple as MUFE #19) and I really like it. It creases quite a lot without TFSI (I’m totally in love with this product) but lasts around 6 hours with it on me.