The October issue of Allure has the 2010 Best of Beauty winning product list. Below are the ones in the categories I cover here on the blog, with commentary when I have something to say.
They’ve broken down the categories into sub-categories that are sometimes a little arbitrary.
Eye Shadow — Beige
• Bobbi Brown Shimmer Wash Eye Shadow in Beige
• Benefit Creaseless Cream Shadow/Liner in Birthday Suit
Voxy says: Those Benefit Creaseless Creams are so shimmery they are almost metallic. They look great on the under-25 set.
Eye Shadow — Brown
• Chanel Soft Touch Eyeshadow in Trace
• Revlon Illuminance Crème Shadow in Not Just Nudes
Voxy says: Why the Urban Decay Naked Palette is not a winner in this category, I cannot imagine.
Eye Shadow — Gray
• Laura Mercier Lustre Eye Colour in Celestial
• Yves St. Laurent Water-Resistant Eye Shadow in Amethyst Gray
Eye Shadow — Color
• NARS Eyeshadow in Daphne
• Laura Mercier Metallic Crème Eye Colour in Alloy
Voxy says: I just recently fell head-over-heels in love with the Laura Mercier Metallic Crème Eye Colours and they’re on my list to review. I don’t own Alloy (yet).
Mascara — Lengthening
• Cover Girl LashBlast Length
Mascara — Volumizing
•Maybelline New York The Falsies Volum’Express
Mascara — Dramatic
• Giorgio Armani Beauty Eyes to Kill
Mascara — Waterproof
• Estée Lauder Sumptuous Waterproof Bold Volume Lifting
Eyeliner — Black and Brown
• Cover Girl LiquilineBlast Eyeliner Pencils in Black Fire and Brown Blaze
Voxy says: I bought the violet shade of this pencil (Violet Voltage, I think?) and found it terrible. It did not last at all, even over TFSI, and the color was way too sheer. Maybe the black and the brown ones are better, but for me this was one of the few really bad investments I’ve made this year. Of course, since it’s inexpensive, it’s not so much of a financial loss, but I was very, very disappointed.
Eyeliner — Color
• Elizabeth Arden Color Intrigue Smoky Eyes Powder Pencil in Midnight
Eyeliner — Liquid
• Dior Style Liner Intense Liquid Eyeliner
Eyeliner — Gel
• Maybelline New York EyeStudio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner
• Clarins Eyebrow Kit Pro Palette
• Physicians Formula Organic Wear Eye Makeup Remover Pads
Lipstick — Red
• Lancome L’Absolu Rouge Lipcolor in Absolute Rouge
Voxy says: This was last year’s choice as well. Allure says they “have yet to find another true red that’s as brilliant, as moisturizing, and as universally flattering.” Boo, says Voxy, thinking of the Shiseido Natural Red recently reviewed. L’Absolu Rouge in Absolute Rouge is way, way, way too bright for most people to actually wear. Why isn’t it in the “Bright” category below?
• Dolce & Gabbana The Lipstick in Charm
Lipstick — Nude
• L’Oreal Paris Colour Riche Lipcolour in Fairest Nude
• Cover Girl Queen Collection Vibrant Hue Color Lip Color in Bronze Goddess
Lipstick — Bright
• Shiseido Makeup Perfect Rouge Lipstick in Fuschia
Lipstick — Dark
• Tom Ford Lip Color in Bruised Plum
Lipstick — Sheer
• Yves Saint Laurent Gloss Volupté Gloss Stick in Tangy Orange
• MAC Pro Longwear Lipcreme
• Estée Lauder Pure Color Gloss (all shades)
• Tarte LipSurgence Natural Lip Stain Pencil
Voxy says: I could not disagree more.
• Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment SPF 15
Tinted Lip Balm
• Fresh Sugar Tinted Lip Treatment SPF 15 in Sugar Rosé and Sugar Plum
Cleanser — Normal Skin
• Aveeno Positively Radiant Makeup Removing Cleanser
Cleanser — Oily Skin
• Origins Zero Oil Deep Pore Cleanser
Cleanser — Dry Skin
• Olay Professional Pro X Cream Cleanser
• Pond’s Evening Soothe Wet Cleansing Towelettes
Facial Moisturizer — Normal Skin
• Aveeno Postively Radiant Daily Moisturizer SPF 30
Facial Moisturizer — Oily Skin
• Garnier Nutritioniste Moisture Rescue Refreshing Gel-Cream
Facial Moisturizer — Dry Skin
• Kinerase Restructure Firming Cream
Voxy says: I’m surprised that this is the only high-end moisturizer listed. I’m also surprised that if a high-end moisturizer were to be listed, it would be Kinerase.
Anti-Aging Treatment — Antioxidant
• SkinCeuticals C E Ferulic
• Phloretin CF Antioxidant Treatment
Voxy says: I have some small containers of the Phloretin, obtained as samples or freebies, and it is a light clear liquid that smells deliciously like coffee. I have no idea whether or not it does anything.
Anti-Aging Treatment — For Wrinkles
• RoC Retinol Correxion Deep Wrinkle Night Cream
Voxy says: I was so disappointed in the whole line of RoC products. Allure may love it, but Voxy does not.
Anti-Aging Treatment — For Discoloration
• Clinique Even Better Dark Spot Corrector
Eye Cream — Dark Circles
• Olay Definity Illuminating Eye Treatment
Eye Cream — Anti-Wrinkle
• Relastin Eye Silk
Eye Cream — Depuffing
• Guerlain Super Aqua-Eye Anti-Puffiness Smoothing Eye Patch
• La Roche-Posay Anthelios 60 Ultra Light Sunscreen Fluid
• Kate Somerville ExfoliKate Gentle Exfoliating Treatment
Voxy says: As per the recent review, I thoroughly agree that it’s a great product. The cost is prohibitive, though.
• Avon Anew Clinical Advanced Retexturizing Peel
Mask — Oily Skin
• Dr. Brandt Pores No More Vacuum Cleaner
Voxy says: I have a sample of this and need to test it now, I think.
Mask — Dry Skin
• SK-II Skin Signature 3D Redefining Mask
Voxy says: Speaking of cost-prohibitive… SK-II is one of the most expensive skincare brands available. These are sheet masks, not squeeze-out-of-a-tube masks, and you get six for the low low price of $145. SK-II recommends use of two masks per week, so that $145 won’t even get you through a month. It makes Kate Somerville look budget-rate by comparison.
• Proactiv Solution Advanced Blemish Treatment
Voxy says: Really, Allure? “Zit Cream” is a category? Can’t you be a little more delicate?
• Clean & Clear Advantage 2-in-1 Acne and Mark Eraser Kit
Voxy says: I guess “Acne Treatment” and “Zit Cream” are two different things.
• L’Oreal Paris Studio Secrets Professional Magic Perfecting Base
Voxy says: Allure describes this as a “mousselike” texture, and all I can say is (and I think I’ve said it before), based on Allure’s comparison of colors and textures to various types of food, I’m not comfortable eating dinner at Allure’s house. If they think that mousse should be this texture, then they have been eating some pretty crappy mousse. Too Faced Primed and Poreless is “mousselike.” L’Oreal Paris Studio Secrets Professional Magic Perfecting Base is thick, thick buttercream.
Foundation — Light Coverage
• Guerlain Lingerie De Peau Invisible Skin-Fusion Foundation
Foundation — Medium Coverage
• Giorgio Armani Beauty Lasting Silk Foundation
Voxy says: Why is there no “Full Coverage” category?
Foundation — Oil-Free
• L’Oreal Paris True Match Super-Blendable Makeup
Foundation — African-American Skin
• Iman Second to None Cream to Powder Foundation
Voxy says: I get the point that darker skins have different shade-matching challenges than lighter skins, but do we have to separate it by race? Can’t we have categories for fair skin, medium skin, medium-deep skin, and deep skin tones? Also, what if I’m an African American woman who wants Light Coverage? Which of these am I supposed to buy, the Iman or the Guerlain?
Foundation — Mineral
• Bare Escentuals i.d. BareMinerals Matte Foundation
Voxy says: Dig it.
Blush — Powder
• Smashbox Blush Rush
Blush — Cream
• Paula Dorf Cheek Color Cream
• MAC Studio Moisture Tint SPF 15
Voxy says: Shouldn’t this go under the “Foundation” category?
Powder — Pressed
• L’Oreal Paris True Match Super-Blendable Powder
Powder — Loose
• Make Up For Ever HD High Definition Microfinish Powder
Voxy says: Love it.
• LORAC Perfectly Lit Oil-Free Luminizing Powder
Concealer — For Undereye Circles
• Make Up For Ever HD High Definition Concealer
Concealer — For Blemishes
• Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage
• Lancome Flash Bronzer Anti-Age Tinted Self-Tanning Face Lotion
• Guerlain Terracotta 4 Seasons Bronzing Powder
Pick up Allure in-store to read picks in the other categories I don’t cover much here: nails, scent, body, and hair.