The Most Gorgeous, Useless, Expensive Holiday Cosmetics Item You’ll Never Get Your Hands On

There ought to be a special edition of the Neiman Marcus Christmas Book that’s just for frivolous and outrageously expensive cosmetics and skincare. If there were, the centerfold of this year’s edition would be (based on brands that have released promo materials thus far): NARS’ Bento Box.

Go ahead and oooh and ahhhh. They sure are purty.

These little cups each contain a hand-poured, new-and-exclusive shade of NARS lipstick. (The cups are not filled up with lipstick like a candle; the lipstick is applied in a waxy layer that follows the contour of the cup, which is why they look so freaking cool.) The colors are based on the bright lip colors of Japanese Kabuki theatre, and it comes with a specially designed brush which you can use for application and for mixing the colors together.

Because for the low low price of $125, you ought to get a brush with the thing.

And just because it’s NARS, it’s extremely limited-edition. Only 2,000 sets created total, and only 1,000 of those available for sale in the United States. If you want to be notified when they are released, you can sign up at http://www.narscosmetics.com/bento_box_set.aspx. It’s supposed to be released November 1, but I bet it will sell out in an hour, so you are advised to stalk the website and your inbox if you want one.

Photo via NARS.

Posted October 14, 2010 at 5:17 pm | Permalink | Reply

Yah know, I don’t want. So there.
    Voxy, how much to buy a coupla bento boxes, then glop in some gloss from a tube? DIY cool. And you can pick colors that look good on you (those would look awful on me).

Posted October 14, 2010 at 8:57 pm | Permalink | Reply

Unfortunately those are both excellent shades for me, which makes me want them even more (despite the fact that they’re too pretty to use).

But… looking at this image of them, it appears that they don’t have lids. Wouldn’t they dry out? And get full of dust and other crap?

Not that I’m going to by them. But I did discover that a store in Chaos City has a NARS counter I was previously unaware of today, so if we do get them over here, I may have to go look at them at least…

Posted October 14, 2010 at 10:21 pm | Permalink | Reply

Dust, yes. Drying out, I’m not so sure — I imagine that lipstick’s been specially formulated. But at any rate, I doubt people will actually use them (I wonder how much lipstick is in there, when you get right down to it — looks like an awfully thin layer), and most people will keep them under glass, I suspect.

Posted October 14, 2010 at 4:05 pm | Permalink | Reply

Ok, these are really pretty. I’d probably never even bring myself to sully the surface of the little cups with the brush, they’re so darned pretty. But I won’t even have the chance to think about it, because they’re $125! In my books, that’s a really great deal for a lovely little work of art, but way too much cash for lipstick — even for two lipsticks. With their own little cups. And fancy fancy little brush. Pretty, but definitely made for someone other than me. Unless we just call them artworks, in which case I may reconsider.

Hope you’re feeling better, Vox! Food poisoning sucks.

Posted October 14, 2010 at 4:31 pm | Permalink | Reply

Yeah, I couldn’t use them either. But they definitely are pretty. Fortunately, the photo is almost as pretty as the cups, and it’s free. ;)

Thanks for the good wishes; I’m feeling mostly human again but it has been a rough week!

Posted October 13, 2010 at 3:05 pm | Permalink | Reply

Oooh. WANT!

For once I am glad that these things are not available in the UK, because I would definitely be buying one if they were, and that would be a waste of money. They’re so pretty I don’t think I’d even use them!

Posted October 13, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Permalink | Reply

Stupid Franciso Nars. How does he manage to make me want things like this?