2011 New Year’s Beauty Resolutions

Happy New Year!

OK. Time to check in on how I (we) did on last year’s resolutions. Here were mine:

Things I said I would start doing in 2010:

— “Spend out” by using luxe products I’ve already purchased.

Status: Achieved, mostly. I did a much better job of using the things I had and not saving them for “special occasions.” Where I didn’t quite meet my goal (OK, didn’t meet it at all) was in using the luxe skincare samples I have.

— Purge unused and expired skincare and makeup more often and more ruthlessly.

Status: Achieved, mostly through periodic reorganization of stash.

— Experiment with a greater variety of makeup looks, even for regular old going-to-work days.

Status: Achieved. I even wore purple false eyelashes once this year.

Things I said I would stop doing in 2010:

— No more buying cosmetics when angry, drunk, or both.

Status: Mostly successful. I had a few slip-ups, but in general I managed to avoid using cosmetics shopping as a emotional-crisis-management technique.

Overall, I did pretty well, in the beauty resolution department, anyway. What do I have on the resolution agenda for this year? Read on.

Things I will start doing in 2011:

— Being more selective about purchases: questioning whether I really have a use for the item and whether it will really suit me. This includes being more savvy about color selection and whenever possible, not buying unswatched. There is no reason for me to buy Teh Season’z Hot Product if I know it won’t suit me. (MAC Ripe Peach, I’m looking at you.)

Things I will resume doing in 2011:

— Washing my face before bed every night almost every night. This is something I used to do religiously and stopped doing. I know exactly why I stopped doing it, and it wasn’t due to laziness. There is a particular reason I stopped doing it, and I need to overcome this behavior and get back on the bandwagon. I’m realistic enough to know that expecting 100% success is unreasonable.

Things I will stop doing in 2011:

OK, this is really “things I will reduce doing in 2011,” but: Making enormous impulse cosmetics purchases. I have successfully separated buying cosmetics from managing my emotions, but I’m still too susceptible to large impulse purchases. (The blog doesn’t help.) Again, I know that expecting 100% success is unreasonable, but I’m shooting for some major improvements.

How about you guys? How did you do in 2010, and anything on your agenda for 2011?

Image: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tinytall/4950670414/

Posted January 19, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Permalink | Reply

I’m a bit late to the game on this one, but since I don’t do new year’s resolutions per se, that’s just as well. I’m going to try to stop lusting after cosmetics that I know I won’t actually ever wear. Trawling websites for good deals on things I’ll use is fine, but I’m already a procrastinator extraordinaire, so spending time planning to buy and then not buying in recognition that it’s inappropriate for me and then starting all over again is just silly. Also, I will not be quite so quick to buy back-ups of new products that I like for fear I won’t find them again. It’s pretty rare that I’ll go through an entire full-size product anyway, especially since I go quite light on the make-up in general, and I have at least three products that I bought far too soon as back-ups that will never be touched. (Although at least one of them made some sense at the time as it was being discontinued. But still, I’ll never get to it. Ever.)

On the upside, and in addition to getting better at eyeliner application, I learned well and truly this year the value of blush. It makes me look awake — or at least not dead (especially as a pale-faced person now suffering through deepest winter). Honestly, a little blush makes a much bigger difference than I’d have thought, and along with a little swish of mascara I can look “finished” even if not made up and much better than completely bare-faced. To that end, I recently bought two Stila CCs and a new Tarte cheek stain (I had a set of minis from a couple of years ago) from ACW, and I am very pleased with all of them, especially the CCs. Who knew?

2. avatar ab_grp
    Posted January 8, 2011 at 9:31 am | Permalink | Reply

I don’t remember what all my resolutions for 2010 were. I think that not touching my face was one (I tend to run my hands over my face when I’m stressed at the end of the day, and I can’t seem to restrain myself from picking at any unevenness). I’m not sure I conquered that one, but have been more mindful of what I’m doing and have reduced it a bit. A second one was probably to do something with my hair (other than a ponytail or bun), and I have succeeded there. Well, at least I wear my hair down more often. A final resolution might have been to not fall into makeup ruts. I am a very routine-oriented person, and I tend to wear the same looks every day for efficiency. I did experiment, but I think that I will need to continue with this resolution too. As for 2011, I will try not to go gaga over everything red, and I will try to love other colors. I will also try to do all the health-related things that contribute to beauty (sleep, alcohol reduction, nutrition). And I will continue to try to learn and improve my beauty skillz.

Posted January 6, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Permalink | Reply

My resolutions were to:
    1) start a daily makeup routine with mascara, concealer, and foundation or tinted moisturizer
    2) properly cleanse and moisturize at night

I did really well with #1. Having discovered eye primers, I can finally keep shadow and liner on all day, and have really enjoyed experimenting with them. Mineral powder foundation was another big discovery and win, as the extra sunblock meant I didn’t get the faintest hint of sunburn on my face this year. I added daily eyebrow pencil to the list and if I do say so myself I look much more polished.

2) I did okay. I took my eye makeup off every night at least.

Resolutions:

1) Keep up the daily makeup routine: liner, mascara, foundation and eye pencil.

2) Improve the frequency of proper cleansing routine before bed.

3) Figure out some way to keep my hands from taking so much sun damage. I carry sunblock and try to reapply before going out, but it wasn’t enough.

Posted January 3, 2011 at 5:32 pm | Permalink | Reply

I have nearly no samples, luxe or otherwise. the few I have are now in my travel bag awaiting my next trip (to SoCal on January 18).
    I actually wish I’d been less rigorous here– I have no more shampoo/conditioner samples and hate to shlep the big bottles.

As for experimenting with new looks: well you know I bought 2 red lippies, so guess we can call that one done too (and I hadn’t even made that a real resolution).

Posted January 3, 2011 at 7:32 pm | Permalink | Reply

You should try some of the travel size shampoo/conditioners. That’s what I take with me when I go away — I use these http://www.charlesworthington.com/ranges/takeaways and I think Pantene and Aveda make them too.

Posted January 2, 2011 at 7:51 pm | Permalink | Reply

Huh. I’ve been pretty good on skincare/makeup removal this year.

I think I’ll resolve not to break the bank with more makeup purchases. I went hog-wild over Christmas (I am OB.SESSED. with foundations, dammit) and I’m going to mess around with what I have instead of buying more. I now have every color I could ever possibly need and I’m going to practice application technique rather than amassment.

I’m watching Lisa Eldridge videos right now. I like that she emphasizes how to look younger and fresh rather than the wackiest, out-there stuff that’s more appropriate for the young’uns. Check her out! (And Happy New Year! Congrats on keeping your resolutions!)

Posted January 1, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Permalink | Reply

You’ve had a successful year for keeping resolutions, well done! It’s great that you’ve stopped buying as a way to manage emotions — that sort of thing is hard to get past.

I haven’t really thought about beauty resolutions, but I should make an effort to wash my face in the evenings too. There’s a reason I don’t do it as often as I should as well; a reason involving unintentionally falling asleep on the couch at random times instead of actually planning to sleep (with vodka also involved on most occasions). I doubt I can do much about the sleeping pattern, but I could make more of an effort to take my makeup off when I get home.

The only other thing I can think of is to keep up with proper eyebrow maintenence. (I’ll tell you what I used last time I shaped them but only if you promise not to yell at me!)

Posted January 1, 2011 at 4:12 pm | Permalink | Reply

Didn’t you already tell me? When you were asking about how to fix it? :)

Yeah, I have the vodka + falling-asleep-on-the-couch thing too. But the vodka is so nice, and the couch is so comfortable. In fact I think I will take a short (vodka-free) nap right now!

Posted January 1, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Permalink | Reply

Actually the one I told you about was the time before. This method worked really well, but is *slightly* unconventional. (I, uh, used a surgical scalpel).

My couch is more comfortable than my bed. I have slept on it so often now that sleeping in a bed hurts my back!