Some Red Lipstick Swatches

For those of you from Over There who have been asking about red lipstick, I thought I would swatch some when I was at Sephora the other day. After seeing all of these on my hand, the friend who was with me said something to the effect of, “you know, they all look pretty much the same, don’t they?” and I had to say “yes, yes they do.”

There are a couple of pictures in different lighting, none of which are studio or light-box quality. For reference, my skin tone is NW20 in MAC, which is medium fair and pink-toned.

The third picture (the unlabeled one) is probably the one that shows the texture/opacity of the various shades the best. The two on the far right on the bottom “row” (I use the term loosely) are the two foiled lipsticks from Kat von D. Adora is a bright but light red; Beranice is pinker. Of all of these, those two left the most stain, even a full day and several hand-washings later.

I know these swatches are messy and untidy, but I thought they might be useful. And I do intend to buy one of these that I swatched, but you’ll have to guess which. ;)

1. avatar ab_grp
    Posted October 15, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Permalink | Reply

So I like the MAC Russian Red and Ruby Woo, but I am still feeling a desire for a more RED red. I like the L’Oreal Colour Riche in Divine Wine and the Elizabeth Arden High Shine Lip Gloss in Sparkling Ruby on me. I’m missing what seems like the old time Hollywood red. Maybe I’ll have to take another look at some of the swatches and give one of those shades a try.

Posted October 14, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Permalink | Reply

My guess is you bought MUFE Lipgloss lip shine 8.

I think I´m desiring one though I already have
    MAC Russian Red
    MAC Red
    MAC Ruby Woo
    and 4 other reds. I like red!

You can never have too many red lipsticks.

Posted October 14, 2011 at 3:01 pm | Permalink | Reply

(This was supposed to be a reply to Merce’s post)

3. avatar ab_grp
    Posted October 11, 2011 at 6:19 pm | Permalink | Reply

Yay! At least I had that one listed in the 6 that I picked as possibilities. Good swatching, VP!

4. avatar merce
    Posted October 11, 2011 at 12:59 pm | Permalink | Reply

My guess is you bought MUFE Lipgloss lip shine 8.

I think I´m desiring one though I already have
    MAC Russian Red
    MAC Red
    MAC Ruby Woo
    and 4 other reds. I like red!

Posted October 11, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Permalink | Reply

Merce gets the prize! Although I haven’t actually bought it yet — but that is the one I have my eye on.