EOTD: Gradated Eyeliner

Because why should eyeliner have to be just one color?

I happen to be wearing something very green today so I decided to just put a shimmery nude color on the lid and let the eyeliner be the main color event.

Products used:

• Shiseido Refining Primer
• MAC Fluidline gel eyeliners in Ivy, Shade, Siahi, and Blacktrack (the last one for tightlining only)
• Stila Kitten eyeshadow (which I hardly ever use)
• LORAC Multiplex 3D mascara
• Tarte emphasEYES brow pencil in Medium Brown

Posted April 3, 2012 at 11:59 am | Permalink | Reply

That looks AWESOME. I’m going to have to try it with my multiple Urban Decay 24/7 pencils.

Posted April 3, 2012 at 11:03 pm | Permalink | Reply

That’s what I did today. I have the UD anniversary set with all those colors. I did a series of browns from dark at the outer corner to light at the inner corner. It looked really pretty.

Posted April 3, 2012 at 11:12 pm | Permalink | Reply

Yay! I’m so glad it worked!

My own experiment today was only moderately successful. The color combination works great but because I don’t own gel liners of all the colors I wanted to use, I had to do one of the blending colors in pencil — it looked fine, but the pencil didn’t wear as well as the gel liner. Still a good look, but also a good example of the difficulty of mixed-media eyeliner combinations!

2. Posted April 3, 2012 at 5:25 am | Permalink | Reply

ooh! this is fabulous. I’m going to try it tonight :)

3. avatar merce
    Posted April 2, 2012 at 9:35 pm | Permalink | Reply

How on earth did you get your liner so thin? And it’s more than a single eyeliner?

You have magic skillz.

Posted April 3, 2012 at 1:28 am | Permalink | Reply

Merce, you are so funny. For me, this seems like a really thick line!

Yep, it’s more than a single liner — you just start with the lightest one in the inner corner and then gradate darker as you go towards the outside corner. You can blend the colors where they meet if you like a continuous gradient — or, if you like a color-block look, you can leave them unblended.

Posted April 2, 2012 at 9:28 pm | Permalink | Reply

I love this look–and I really like Kitten here with the green eyeliner.

Could I do something like this with blues to go with my eyes, or would browns be better?

Posted April 2, 2012 at 10:39 pm | Permalink | Reply

I don’t see why you couldn’t use blues. Now that this has occurred to me, I’m planning on doing it with pretty much every color combination I can think of. :)

You could create a more or less dramatic look by widening (more drama) or narrowing (less drama) the range of colors. A couple of different browns together, or a combination of gray/blue-gray/blue, would be sophisticated but understated. OTOH, you could also use this technique to get from, say, orange, to, say, green. Not that I have that in mind to experiment with or anything…

Posted April 2, 2012 at 6:39 pm | Permalink | Reply

Genius — I love this! Very striking and elegant. Not sure that I have a steady enough hand to pull this off so well as you did, but I might just have to put this on my list of eye looks to play with.

Posted April 3, 2012 at 1:26 am | Permalink | Reply

The nice thing about it is that since you are going to be blending the colors, it’s pointless to try to draw the whole line at once. So you just need to draw about 1/3 of the line at a time, plus a little extra for overlap. I do this before I’ve done my other makeup so I can rest my hand on my cheekbone to steady it, without worrying that I’ll smudge or smear my foundation or blush or whatnot.

Tomorrow I am considering trying to go from orange to purple. Could be awesome, could be total disaster. We will see! :)

Posted April 3, 2012 at 11:05 pm | Permalink | Reply

So did you do it?

Posted April 3, 2012 at 11:13 pm | Permalink | Reply

Yep — see my reply to your comment above. The idea is still a good one, but I need to pick up some more gel liners in colors that are missing from my current collection.